Friday 14 March 2014

Tattoo designs

Just like the director of The bling ring (Soffia Coppola) who payed attention to detail, I also tried to do the same when researching sket characters in other films to study how they acted as well as how they looked. I noticed that a number of them had tattoos on them. I also wanted a tattoo for my character however I don't have any tattoos and had no intention of getting a real one!

I remembered watching one of my favourite TV shows 'Prison Break' with the main character Wentworth Miller all tatted up. Originally he has tattoos but not as many as his character does. So I did some research into what the Prison Break set do to ensure he looks like this and discovered that they call in a proffessional fake tattoo artist to use a special ink and the ink can then be washed off using a special liquid. Unfortunately hiring the tattoo artist would have cost a whopping £150! Money I certainly don't have.

I then went online and came across these designs which were very pretty however I realised from reviews of the product that they were stick on tattoos which didn't look very real.



In the end I spent so much time researching about tattoos and trying to find someone who could help me out, I wasn't focusing on other aspects of my character and soon realised I was wasting time. Then I rememebered Soffia Coppola (the director of the bling ring) and how she chose to use 5 people to represent the bling ring which originally consisted of 7 members. Her directing taught me that although it's good to pay attention to detail, you musn't forget the whole point of the film and character. As long as you reach your objective which is to convince your audience that the film is real and the characters are too, you've done the job well.

No comments:

Post a Comment